Major Works of Donald J. Harris
- "Econometric Analysis Of Household Consumption In Jamaica", 1964,
Social & Econ Studies
- "Review C. Furtado's Diagnosis of Brazilian Crisis", 1966, QREB [pdf]
- "Inflation, Income Distribution, and Capital Accumulation in a
Two-Sector Model of Growth", 1967, EJ
- "The 1967 Budget and the Postwar Economy", 1967, Illinois Bus Rev
- "Price Behavior in India: An Examination of Professor Raj's Hypothesis",
1969, Indian ER [pdf]
- "Income, Prices, and the Balance of Payments in Underdeveloped
Economies: A Short-run Model", 1970, Oxford EP.
- "Saving and Foreign Trade as Constraints in Economic Growth: A Study of
Jamaica", 1970, Social & Econ Studies.
- "On Marx's Scheme of Reproduction and Accumulation", 1972, JPE.
- "Feasible Growth with Specificity of Capital and Surplus Labor", 1972,
- "Economic Growth with Limited Import Capacity", 1972, Econ Dev Cult
- ""The Black Ghetto as 'Internal Colony': A Theoretical Critique and
Alternative Formulation", 1972, Rev of Black PE [wp],
- "Introduction", 1972, to N. Bukharin,
Theory of the Leisure Class. [pdf]
- "Capital, Distribution, and the Aggregate Production Function", 1973,
- "Marxian Exploitation and Domestic Colonialism: a Reply", 1974, Rev
of Black PE [wp]
- "The Price Policy of Firms, Employment, and Distribution in the Short
Run", 1974, Australian ER.
- "The Theory of Economic Growth: A Critique and Reformulation", 1975,
- “The Theory of Capital,” (with D. P. Levine), 1977, in Levine, editor,
Economic Studies: Contributions to the Critique of Economic Theory. [wp]
- Capital Accumulation and Income Distribution, 1978
- "Capitalist exploitation and black labor: Some conceptual issues", 1978,
Rev of Black PE
- "A Post-Mortem on the Neoclassical ‘Parable’", 1980, in E.J. Nell,
editor, Growth, Profits, and Property.[wp]
- "Market Size, Industrialization and Regional Integration", 1980,
Social & Econ Studies.
- "Profits, Productivity, and Thrift: The Neoclassical Theory of Capital
and Distribution Revisited", 1981, JPKE.
- "On the Timing of Wage Payments", 1981, Cambridge JE
- "Income Distribution and Economic Development in Under‑Developed
Economies", 1981, JE Malaysia, [pdf]
- "Review of Pasinetti's Structural Change and
Economic Growth", 1982, Contrib to PE [wp]
- "The Adjustment Process and the Monetary System: Comment on Davidson",
1983, in J. Kregel, editor, Distribution, Effective Demand, and
International Economic Relations [pdf].
- "Accumulation of Capital and the Rate of Profit in Marxian Theory",
1983, Cambridge JE.
- "Economic Growth, Structural Change, and the Relative Income Status of
Blacks in the U. S. Economy, 1947-78", 1983, Rev of Black PE.
- "Caribbean Economies in Transition: Problems and Prospects of Structural
Adjustment", 1983 [wp]
- "The Theory of Economic Growth: From Steady States to Uneven
Development", 1985, in G.R. Feiwel, ed., Issues in Contemporary
Macroeconomics and Distribution [wp]
- "Value, Exchange and Capital", 1985, in Resnick & Wolf, editors,
Rethinking Marxism [pdf]
- "The Organic Composition of Capital and Capitalist Development" (with
R.E. Rowthorn), 1985, in Resnick & Wolf, editors, Rethinking Marxism
- "Are There Macroeconomic Laws? The Law of the Falling Rate of Profit
Reconsidered", 1986, in Wagener and Drukker, editors, Economic Law of
Motion of Modern Society. [wp]
- "The Complex Dynamics of the Simple Ricardian System" (with A.
Bhaduri), 1987, QJE.
- "On the Classical Theory of Competition", 1988, Cambridge JE.
- "The Circuit of Capital and the ‘Labor Problem’ in Capitalist
Development", 1988, Social & Econ Studies.
- Capital Accumulation and Resource Allocation in an Import Constrained
Economy, 1990 [wp]
- "Sraffa's Circular Process and the Concepts of Vertical Integration:
Comment" in K. Bharadwaj & B. Schefold, editors, Essays on Piero Sraffa
- "Equilibrium and Stability in Classical Theory", 1991, in Nell and
Semmler, editors, Nicholas Kaldor and Mainstream Economics [wp]
- "A Model of the Productivity Gap: Convergence or Divergence?", 1993, in
R. Thomson, editor, Learning and Technological Change [pdf]
- "Economic growth and equity: Complements or opposites?", 1993, Rev of
- "Non-Traditional Exports from Caribbean Countries: A Comparative
Analysis of Performance", 1993, Development Policy [pdf]
- "The Jamaican Economy in the 21st Century: Challenges to Development and
Requirements of a Response", 1994, in Jamaica: Preparing for the 21st
- “A Model of Output and Investment for a Small Export Economy with Trade
Preferences (Quotas), Imperfect Capital Market, and Transaction Costs", 1995
- "Endogenous Learning and Economic Growth", 1995, International Encycl
of Economics of Education [pdf]
- "Exchange Rate Policy: Staying the Course", 1995, Money Index [pdf]
- An Approach to Industrial Policy for Jamaica, 1995 [pdf]
- "Finance, Investment, and Growth: Economic Policy for Caribbean
Economies in the Next (Quarter) Century", 1996, in K. Worrell and A.
Gonzales, editors, Whither the Caribbean Region? [pdf]
- National Industrial Policy, a Strategic Plan for Growth and
Development, 1996 [pdf]
- "Development through Innovation - A Jamaican Model", 1996 [wp]
- Jamaica’s Export Economy: Towards a Strategy of Export-led Growth,
- National Industrial Policy, Review and Assessment of Performance in the
First Year, 1997 [pdf]
- "Approaches to the Problem of Productivity in the Jamaican Economy:
Analysis and Policy" with U. Schumacher, 1997 [wp]
- "The Productivity Problem in the Jamaican Economy: What Role for
‘Productivity Incentive Schemes'?" with U. Schumacher, 1998 [wp]
- "Macroeconomic Stability and Growth: a Policy Analysis”, 1999, in
Economic Dynamics and Economic Policy [pdf]
- "Robinson on 'History versus Equilibrium'", 2005, in Gibson, ed.,
Joan Robinson's Economics [wp]
- "Classical Growth Model", 2008, New Palgrave, 2nd ed. [wp]
- "Uneven Development", 2008, New Palgrave, 2nd ed. [wp]
- "Universal Health Care: Mandates or not?", 2008, Stanford Daily,
- "Jamaica’s Debt-Propelled Economy: a Failed Economic Strategy and its
Aftermath", 2010 [wp]
- A Growth-Inducement Strategy for Jamaica in the Short and Medium Term
(with G. Hutchinson), 2012, [pdf]