Major Works of Martin J. Shubik
- "A Business Cycle Model with Organized Labor Considered", 1952, Econometrica.
- "A Comparison of Treatments of a Duopoly Problem", 1955, Econometrica.
- "Market Form: Intent of the firm and market behavior", 1957, ZfN.
- "Edgeworth Market Games", 1959, in Luce and Tucker, editors, Contributions
to the Theory of Games IV.
- Strategy and Market Structure, 1959.
- "Objective Functions and Models of Corporate Optimization", 1961, QJE.
- "Approaches to the Study of Decision Making Relevant to the
Firm", 1961, J of Business [cwls]
- "Some Experimental Non-Zero Sum Games with Lack of Information About the
Rules", 1962, Management Science [cwls]
- "Incentives, Decentralized Control, the Assignment of Joint Costs and Internal
Pricing", 1962, Management Science. [cwls]
- "Game Theory and the Study of Social Behavior", 1964, in Shubik, editor, Game
Theory and Relate Approaches.
- "Quasi-Cores in a Monetary Economy with Non-Convex Preferences", with L.S.Shapley, 1966, Econometrica.
- "Concepts and Theories of Pure Competition", with L.S. Shapley,
1967, in Shubik, editor, Essays in Mathematical Economics.
- "Ownership and the Production Function", with L.S. Shapley,
1967, QJE. [cwls]
of Socio-Economic Systems", 1967, General Systems [cwls]
- "Toward a Study of Bidding Processes Part IV: Games with Unknown
Costs", with J.H. Griesmer and R.E. Levitan, 1967, Naval Research Logistics
Theory: Economic Applications", 1968, IESS
- "Extended Edgeworth Bargaining games and Competitive Equilibrium", 1968, Metroeconomica.[cwls]
- "A Further Comparison of Some models of Duopoly", 1968, Western EJ.
- "Welfare, Static and Dynamic Solution
Concepts", 1968, Décision: Agrégation et Dynamique des Ordres de
- "Pure Competition, Coalitional Power and Fair Division", with L.S.Shapley,1969, IER.
- "On Market Games",with L.S.Shapley, 1969, JET.
- "On the Core of an Economic System with Externalities" with L.S.Shapley, 1969, AER.
- "Price Strategy Oligopoly with Product Variation" with L.S.Shapley,
1969, Kyklos. [cwls]
- "Voting, or a Price System in a Competitive Market
Structure", 1970, APSR [cwls]
- "Game Theory, Behavior and the Paradox of the Prisoner's Dilemma: Three
solutions", 1970, Journal of Conflict Resolution.
- "The Bridge Game Economy:
An example of invisibilities", 1971, JPE. [cwls]
- "Pecuniary Externalities: A game theoretic analysis", 1971, AER.
- "The Dollar Auction Game: A paradox in non-cooperative behavior and
escalation", 1971, J of Conflict Resolution [pdf]
- "Games of
Status", 1971, Behavioral Science [cwls]
- "Price Variation Duopoly with Differentiated Products and Random
Demand" with R. Levitan, 1971, JET [cwls]
- "Noncooperative Equilibria and Strategy Spaces in an Oligopolistic
Market" with R. Levitan, 1971, in Kuhn and Szego, editors, Mathematical
Models of Action and Reaction [cwls]
- "An Experiment with Ten Duopoly Games and Beat-the-Average Behavior",
with Martin Riese, 1971 [pdf]
- "On the
Scope of Gaming", 1972, Management Science [cwls]
- "Price Duopoly and Capacity
Constraints", with R. Levitan, 1972, IER [cwls]
- "The Assignment Game, I: The core" with L.S.Shapley,
1972, Int Journal of Game Theory. [pdf]
- "Fiat Money and Noncooperative Equilibrium in a Closed Economy", 1972, Int
Journal of Game Theory.
- "Commodity Money, Credit and Bankruptcy in a General Equilibrium Model", 1972,
- Models, Simulations and Games: a survey, with G.D. Brewer, 1972 [arpa
- "Fiat Money in an Economy with One Nondurable Good and No Credit (A Noncooperative Sequential
Game)." with W. Whitt, 1973, in A. Blaquiere, editor, Topics in Differential
- "Commodity Money, Oligopoly, Credit and Bankruptcy in a General Equilibrium
Model", 1973, Western EJ. [cwls]
- "Information, Duopoly and Competitive Markets: A sensitivity analysis", 1973, Kyklos.
- "The Core of a Market Game with Exogenous Risk and
Insurance", 1973, New Zealand Economic Papers
- "The General Equilibrium Model: Barter and Trust, or Mass Markets with Money and
Credit", 1974, Econ Record [cwls]
- "Money, Trust and Equilibrium Points in Games in Extensive
Form", 1975, ZfN [cwls]
- "Oligopoly Theory, Communication, and Information", 1975, AER
- "Competitive Equilibrium, the Core, Preferences for Risk and Insurance
Markets", 1975, Econ Record
- "The General Equilibrium Model is Incomplete and Not Adequate for the Reconciliation of Micro and
Macro-economic Theory", 1975, Kyklos
- Games for Society, Business and War, 1975.
- The Uses and Methods of Gaming, 1975.
- "A Non-Cooperative Model of a Closed Economy with Many Traders and
Two-Bankers", 1976, ZfN.
- "Competitive Outcomes in the Cores of Market Games" with L.S. Shapley,
- "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment" with L.S. Shapley, 1977, JPE.
- "Competitive and Controlled Price Economies: the Arrow-Debreu model
revisited", 1977, in Schwodiauer, editor, Equilibrium and Disequilibrium in
- "An Example of a Trading Economy with Three Competitive Equilibria",
1977, with L.S. Shapley, JPE
- "Competitive Equilibrium Contingent Commodities and Information",
1977, J of Finance
- "The Optimal Bankruptcy Rule in a Trading Economy using Fiat Money", with C.
Wilson, 1977, ZfN.
- "A Theory of Money and Financial Institutions", 1978, Economie Appliquee.
- "Trade and Prices in a Closed Economy with Exogenous Uncertainty, Different Levels of Information, Money
and Compound Futures Markets", with P. Dubey, 1977, Econometrica
- "A Closed Economic System with Production and Exchange Modelled as a Game of
Strategy" with P. Dubey, 1977, JMathE
- "A Closed Economy with Exogenous Uncertainty, Different Levels of Information, Money, Futures and Spot
Markets" with P. Dubey, 1977, IJGT
- "The Nucleolus as a Noncooperative Game Solution", with H.P. Young, 1978, in
Ordeshook, editor, Game Theory and Political Science.
- "Duopoly with Price and Quantity as Strategic Variables", with R.
Levitan, 1977, IJGT
- "A Theory of Money and Financial Institutions: The Noncooperative Equilibria of a Closed Trading
Economy with Market Supply and Bidding Strategies." with P. Dubey, 1978, IJGT
- "Bankruptcy and Optimality in a Closed Trading Mass Economy Modelled as a Non-Cooperative
Game", with P. Dubey,1978, JMathE
- The War Game, with G. Brewer, 1979.
- The Aggressive Conservative Investor, 1979
- "The Capital Stock Modified Competitive Equilibrium", 1980, in Kareken and
Wallace, Models of Monetary Economies.
- Market Structure and Behavior, with R.E. Levitan, 1980.
- "Efficiency Properties of Strategic Market Games: An Axiomatic
Dubey and A. Mas- Colell, 1980, JET [cwls]
- "Efficiency of Cournot-Nash Equilibria in Strategic Market
Games" with P.
Dubey and A. Mas- Colell, 1980.
- "A Strategic Market Game with Price and Quantity
Strategies" with P.
Dubey, 1980, ZfN
- The Aggressive Conservative Investor, with M.J. Whitman, 1980.
- Market Structure and Behavior, with R.E. Levitan, 1980.
- Game Theory in the Social Sciences: Concepts and solutions, 1981.
- Game Theory Models and Methods in Political Economy", 1981, in Arrow
and Intriligator, editors, Handbook of Mathematical Econ, Vol. I -
- "Competitive Valuation of Cooperative Games", with R.J. Weber, 1981, Mathematics
of Operations Research.
- "Information Conditions, Communication and General
Equilibrium", with P. Dubey, 1981, Mathematics of Operations
- "Perfect or Robust Noncooperative Equilibrium: A Search for the Philosophers Stone?",
1981, in Essays in Game Theory and Mathematical Economics
- "Society, Land, Love or Money", 1981, JEBO
- "The Strategic Audit: A Game Theoretic Approach to Corporate Competitive
Strategy", 1983, Management and Decision Economics
- "Approximate Cores of Replica Games and Economies, Part
I & II" with M. Wooders, 1983, Mathematical Social
- "Perfect Competition in Strategic Market Games with Interlinked
Preferences" with P. Dubey, 1985, Econ Letters
- "A Note on Enough Money in a Strategic Market Game with Complete or Fewer
Markets", 1985, Econ Letters
- "The Cooperative Form, the Value, and the Allocation of Joint Costs and
Benefits", 1985, in Young, editor, Cost Allocation
- "A Strategic Market Game with Transactions
Costs" with J. Rogawski, 1986, Math Soc Sciences
- "The Many Approaches to the Study of Monopolistic
Competition", 1986, European ER
- "A Note on the 'Corelessness' or Antibalance of a
Game" with S. Weber, 1986, IJGT
- "Strategic Market Game: A Dynamic Programming Application to Money, Banking and
Insurance", 1986, Math Soc Sciences
- "Near-Markets and Market Games" with M.
Wooders, 1986, ESQ [pdf]
- "The Revelation of Information in Strategic Market
Games", with P. Dubey and J. Geanakoplos,
- "What Is an Application and When Is Theory a Waste of Time?",
1987, Management Science
- "The Unique Minimal Cash Flow Competitive
Equilibrium", 1987, Econ Letters
- "Revenge and Rational Play" with B. Nalebuff, 1988
- "Gaming: Theory and Practice, Past and
Future", 1989, Simulation and Games
- "Gold, Liquidity and Secured Loans in a Multistage Economy, Part I: Gold as
Money" with S. Yao, 1989, J of Economics
- "Gold, Liquidity and Secured Loans in a Multistage Economy, Part
II: Many Durables, Land and Gold" with S. Yao, 1990, J of Economics
- "A Strategic Market Game with Complete
Markets", with S. Sahi, R. Amir and S. Yao, 1990, JET
- "The Transactions Cost of Money (A Strategic Market Game
Analysis)" with S. Yao, 1990, Math Soc Sciences
- "The Transactions Trust Demand for Money",
1990, J of Economics
- "The Capital Asset Pricing Model as a General Equilibrium with Incomplete
Markets" with J. Geanakoplos, 1990, Geneva
Papers on Risk & Insurance
- "A Game Theoretic Approach to the Theory of Money and Financial Institutions."
1990, in Friedman and Hahn, editors, Handbook of Monetary Economics
- "A Strategic Market Game of a Finite Exchange Economy with a Mutual
Bank", with J. Zhao, 1991, Math Soc Sciences
- "A Strategic Market Game with a Mutual Bank with Fractional Reserves and Redemption in Gold (A
Continuum of Traders)", with D. Tsomocos, 1992, J
- "On Matching Book: A Problem in Banking and Corporate
Finance" with M.J. Sobel, 1992, Management Science
- The Theory of Money and Financial Institutions, 1993.
- "Repeated Trade and the Velocity of Money", with P. Dubey and S.
Sahi, 1993, JMathE
- "Prominence, Symmetry, or Other?", 1994, Games
& Econ Behav.
- "Some Dynamics of a Strategic Market Game with a Large Number of
Agents" with J.M. Miller, 1994, J of Economics
- "Construction of Stationary Markov Equilibria in a Strategic Market
Game" with I. Karatzas and W.D. Sudderth, 1994, Math of Operations
- "Why Equilibrium? A Note on the Noncooperative Equilibria of Some Matrix
Games", 1996, JEBO
- "Trade with Assignats or Landbank Money: Equilibria in a Finite-Person Strategic Market
Game", with A.K. Jayawardene, 1997, JMathE
- "A Theorem on the Number of Nash Equilibria in a Bimatrix
Game" with T. Quint, 1997, IJGT
- "Some Simple Games for Teaching and Research. Part 1: Cooperative Games" [cwls]
- "Game Theory, Complexity, and Simplicity. Part III: Critique and
Prospective", 1998, Complexity [cwls]
- "Terrorism, Technology and Socio-economics of
Death", 1998 [pdf]
- "Clubs, Near Markets and Market Games," with
M.Wooders, 2000, Fields Institute Communications.
- "The Theory of Money",
- "Default in a General Equilibrium Model with Incomplete Markets"
with P. Dubey and J. Geanakoplos
- "Fiat Money and the Efficient Financing of the Float, Production and Consumption. Part I: The Float"
- "War Gaming in the Information Age: theory and
purpose" with Paul Bracken, 2001, Naval War College Review [pdf]
- "Accounting and Economic Theory", 2002 [ssrn]
- "Is economics the next physical science?" with
J.D. Farmer and E. Smith, 2005, Physics Today [pdf;
- "Everyone-a-Banker or the Ideal Credit
Acceptance Game: Theory and Experimental Evidence" with J. Huber and S.
- "An Economy with Personal Currency: Theory and
evidence" with M. Angerer, J. Huber and S. Sunder, 2008 [pdf]
- "Proposal for a Federal Employment Reserve
Authority", 2009 [levy]
- "The Present and Future of Game Theory", 2011 [cowles]
- "Simecs, Ithaca Hours, Berkshares, Bitcoins and
Walmarts", 2014 [pdf]