The Statistical Society of London was founded in 1834, right on the heels of the foundation of Section F ("Statistics") of the British Association for the Advancement of Science in 1833. The SSL was formed "in pursuance of a recommendation" in March, 1834 by the BAAS "for the purpose of collecting, arranging and publishing facts calculated to illustrate the position and prospects of Society, and especially facts which can be stated numerically and arranged in table....and the condensation, arrangement and publication of those already existing" ("Objects of the Statistical Society", 1876, p.3). The motto of the SSL - aliis exterendum ("for others to thresh out") - indicated that the society was concerned with facts and only facts, interpretation and opinion was to be left to others.
At its founding, the SSL was housed on St. Martin's Lane, in facilities rented from the Royal Society of Literature. In 1844, the SSL moved briefly to new rented facilities on Regent Street, and then, from 1846, for a considerably longer period of its history, it was at the London Library on St. James Square. (The Institute of Actuaries was a sub-tenant). In 1874,the SSL moved once again, this time to facilities in King's College London, a not-surprising choice given the long association of the society with the college (through Tooke, Newmarch, Thorold-Rogers, Leone Levi, William A. Guy and others (source)).
The Statistical Society of London was incorporated by royal charter in 1887 and was renamed the Royal Statistical Society.
Presidents of the Statistical Society
The Guy Gold Medal, named after King's College physician and pioneering statistician William A. Guy and awarded only occasionally to exceptional innovators in the field. There is also a Guy Silver Medal that is awarded more frequently.
Resources on the SSL/RSS
All rights reserved, Gonšalo L. Fonseca