Major Works of James M. Buchanan
- "The Pure Theory of Public Finance: A suggested approach", 1949,
- "Knut Wicksell on Marginal Cost Pricing" 1951, Southern EJ [pdf]
- "Individual Choice in Voting and the Market", 1954, JPE
- "Social Choice in Voting and Free Markets", 1954, JPE
- Public Principles of Public Debt, 1958. [lib,
- "Positive Economics, Welfare Economics and Political Economy", 1959, J Law
- Fiscal Theory and Political Economy, 1960.
- "Externality", with W.C. Stubblebine, 1962, Economica
- The Calculus of Consent: Logical foundations for constitutional democracy, with
G. Tullock, 1962. [lib,
- "What Should Economists Do?", 1964, Southern EJ
- "Ethical Rules, Expected Values and Large Numbers", 1965, Ethics
- "Economics and Its Scientific Neighbors", 1966, in Krupp, editor, Structure
of Economic Science
- Public Finance in Democratic Process:
Fiscal institutions and democratic choice, 1967. [lib,
- Demand and Supply of Public Goods, 1968. [lib,
- "An Economist's Approach to Scientific Politics", 1968, in Parsons, editor, Perspectives
in the Study of Politics.
- Cost and Choice: An inquiry into economic theory, 1969. [lib,
- "Is Economics the Science of Choice?", 1969, in Streissler, editor, Roads
- "Notes for an Economic Theory of Socialism", 1970, Public Choice
- Academia in Anarchy, with N.Devletoglou, 1971.
- "Equality as Fact and Norm", 1971, Ethics
- "Before Public Choice", 1973, in Tullock, editor, Explorations in the
Theory of Anarchy
- The Limits of Liberty: Between Anarchy and Leviathan, 1975. [lib,
- "Public Finance and Public Choice", 1975, National Tax Journal
- "A Contractarian Paradigm for Applying Economic Theory", 1975, AER
- "Barro on the Ricardian Equivalence Theorem", 1976, JPE
- "Methods and Morals in Economics", 1976, in Breit and Culbertson, editors, Science
- Democracy in Deficit: the political legacy of Lord Keynes, with R.E. Wagner,
- The Consequences of Mr Keynes, with R.E. Wagner and J. Burton,1978
- "Markets, States and the Extent of Morals", 1978, AER
- Freedom in Constitutional Contract, 1978.
- What Should Economists Do?, 1979.
- The Power to Tax: the analytical foundations of a fiscal constitution, with G.
Brennan, 1980. [lib,
- "The Homogenization of Heterogeneous Inputs", with R.D. Tollison, 1981, AER
- "Introduction: LSE cost theory in retrospect", 1981, in Buchanan, editor,
L.S.E. Essays on Cost, 1981 [lib]
- "The Domain of Subjective Economics: Between predictive science and moral
philosophy", 1982, in Kirzner, editor, Method, Process and Austrian Economics
- "Order Defined in the Process of Emergence", 1982, Literature of Liberty
- The Reason of Rules: constitutional political economy with G. Brennan, 1985.
- Liberty, Market and the State, 1986.
Constitution of Economic Policy", 1987, AER [nobel]
- Economics: between predictive science and moral philosophy, with G. Brennan,
- Explorations in Constitutional Economics, 1989.
- The Economics and Ethics of Constitutional Order, 1991.
- "From the Inside Looking Out", 1991, in Szenberg, editor, Eminent
- Constitutional Economics.
- Better than Ploughing and other personal essays. 1992
- "Economic freedom
and competitive federalism: prospects for the new century", 1996, Nobelists
for the Future
- "Public Choice: the origin and development of a research program" [pdf]
- "Has Economics Lost Its Way? Reflections on economist's enterprise at
Century's End", 1997 [pdf]
- "Generalized Increasing Returns, Euler's Theorem, and Competitive Equilibrium"
with Yong J. Yoon, 1999, HOPE
Works of James M. Buchanan, 1999 [lib,
oll], 20 vols.
- "Morality and Community in the Extended Market Order", 2001, The
Legacy of Friedrich von Hayek, vol. 7: [lib: