On the Methodology and History of Economics
The following are assorted links on the history and methodology of economics.
Dictionaries of Economics
- Dictionnaire de l'économie politique, contenant l'exposition des principes
de la science, l'opinion des écrivains qui ont le plus contribué a sa
fondation et a ses progrés, la bibliographie générale de l'économie
politique par noms d'autuers et par ordre de matiéres, avec des notices
biographiques et une appréciation raisonée des principaux ouvrages
edited by Charles Coquelin and Gilbert Urbain Guillaumin, 1852 (two vols).
- Dictionary of Political Economy,
R.H. Inglis Palgrave, editor,
v.1 (A-E) (1894)
v.2 (F-M) (1896)
v.3 (N-Z) (1899)
- 1901 2nd ed.:
- 1906 reprint with corrections: v.2 (F-M)
- 1909 reprint with corrections: v.1 (A-E)
- 1910 reprint with corrections:
v.3 (N-Z & App).
v.3 (N-Z & App).
v.3 (N-Z & App)
- 1925 ed., v.1, v.2, v.3
- Handwörterbuch der Staatswissenschaften, edited by Johannes
Conrad, Ludwig Elster, Wilhelm Lexis and Edgar Loening,
- [2nd ed, 1898-1901]
v.1 (Abbau-Armenwesen) (1898)
v.2 (Arndt-Busch (1899)
v.3 (Cab-Ful) (1900)
v.4 (G-J) (1900)
v.5 (Kaff-Owen) (1900)
v.6 (P-S) (1901)
Selected tracts on the "Scope and Method" of Economics
- Essays on Some Unsettled Questions of Political Economy,
John Stuart Mill,
[av], [bris], [pdf,
- The Character and Logical Method of Political Economy,
by John E. Cairnes, 1857 [bk]
2nd. ed]. [McM;
- Some Leading Principles of Political Economy Newly Expounded ,
by John E. Cairnes, 1874 [bk]
- Science: Economic discussion, 1886 [bk]
- "Introduction" by R.T. Ely [p.v]
- "The Continuity of Economic Thought", by E.R.A.
- "The State as an Economic Factor, Pt. I" by E.J. James,
- "The State as an Economic Factor, Pt. II - Reply to James" by F.W.
- "The State as an Economic Factor, Pt. III - Rejoinder" by E.J. James,
- "Ethics and Economics" by R.T. Ely,
- "Aspects of the Economic Discussion", by Simon
- "The Economic Discussion in Science", by R.T.
- "Economics and Jurisprudence" by Henry C.
- "Economic Laws and Methods", Arthur T.
- "Another View of Economic Laws and Methods", by Henry C.Adams,
- "Methods of Investigation in Political Economy", by Richmond
- "The Effect of Consumption of Wealth on the Economic Welfare of
Society", by Simon N. Patten,
- "The Method and Province of Political
Economy", by Simon Newcomb, 1875,
North American Review [moa]
Economy a Science -- of What?" by Lyman Atwater, 1880, Princeton
- "The Method of Political
Economy", by D. McG. Means, 1883, New Englander and Yale review
and Method of Political Economy, by John Neville
Keynes, 1891 [bk]
- La Méthode positive en science économique, by Francois
- "Economic Theorizing and Scientific Progress", by Jacob
Hollander, 1916, AER
- Tendencies in Economic Theory--Discussion", 1916, AER (Sup) p.162 [js]
(discussion by H.J. Davenport, R.T. Ely, I. Fisher, B.M. Anderson),
- "The Historical Approach to Economics", by Isaac A. Loos, 1918, AER
- "The Psychological Basis for the Economic Interpretation of
History", by William F. Ogburn, 1919, AER (Supp)
- "The Psychological Basis - Comment", by Frank A. Fetter,
1919, AER (Supp),
- "The Institutional Approach to Economic Theory", by Walton H.
Hamilton, 1919, AER (Supp)
- "Economic Theory - Discussion", 1919, AER (Supp)
p.319 [js] (Haney,
- "Price Economics versus Welfare Economics", by Frank A. Fetter,
1920, AER (Sep),
- "A Revaluation of Traditional Economic Theory", by Carl E.
Parry, 1921, AER (Supp)
- "Soundings in Non-Euclidean Economics", by John Maurice Clark,
1921, AER (Supp)
- "Traditional Economic Theory - Discussion", 1921, AER
(Fisher, Knight, Parry)
- "The Teaching of Elementary Economics - Roundtable",
1921, AER (Supp),
- The Political Element in the Development of Economic Theory, by
Gunnar Myrdal, 1930
- Essay on the Nature and Significance of Economic Science, by
Lionel Robbins, 1932. [mis]
[1935 2nd. edition, [mis];
3rd edition, 1984] [French trans.
- Epistemological Problems of Economics, by Ludwig von
- The Limits of Economics, by Oskar
Morgenstern, 1937 [mis]
- The Significance and Basic Postulates of Economic Theory by T.W.
- "Measurement without
Theory", by Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1947, REStat
- "A Reply to Vining",
by Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1949, REStat
- .A Modest Proposal for Some Stress on Scholarship in
Graduate Training, by Jacob Viner,
- "The Non-Econometrician's
Lament" by Dennis H. Robertson
- The Counter-Revolution of Science: Studies on the abuse of reason,
by Friedrich A. Hayek,1952. [av]
Theory and Mathematics: An appraisal", by Paul A. Samuelson,
1952, AER [cwls]
- "Recent Developments in Mathematical Economics and Econometrics: An Expository
Session", 1953, American Economic Review [cwls]
- "Mathematics in Economics", by Wassily
Leontief, 1954, Bulletin of the AMS.
- "Selected Topics in Economics Involving Mathematical
Reasoning" by Tjalling C. Koopmans
and A.F. Bausch, 1959, SIAM Review [cwls]
- "Theoretical Assumptions and Non-Observed Facts", by Wassily
Leontief, 1971, AER. [pdf]
- "Is the Theory of Competitive Equilibrium With It?",
by Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1974, AER.
- "General Economic Equilibrium: Purpose, analytic techniques, collective
choice" by Kenneth J. Arrow, 1974, AER. [nobel]
and Unemployment", by Milton Friedman,
- "The Use
of Models: Experience and prospects", by Jan Tinbergen,
Constitution of Economic Policy", by James M. Buchanan,
- "Economic Theory in a Mathematical Mode: the Nobel lecture",
by Gerard Debreu, 1984, AER.
- "The Mathematization of Economic Theory",
by Gerard Debreu, 1991, AER.[het]
- The Foundations of Economic Man by Lawrence Boland, 1982 [bol]
- "Economic methodology in a nutshell" by Daniel Hausman, 1989, JEP
- "The Pure and the
Applied: Bourbakism comes to America", by E.Roy Weintraub and Philip
Mirowski, 1994, Science in Context
- "The Irony
In/Of Economic Theory" by M. Ali Khan, 1993, MLN
- Critique of Economic Reason
by Kenneth M. Stokes (1992)
- A Metatheoretical Discourse
by Kenneth M. Stokes [iuj]
- "Why does Methodology Matter for Economics?", by Kevin D. Hoover,
1995, EJ [duke]
Austrian Economics Have a Useful Future?" 1997 Presidential Address
to SDAE by Karen I. Vaughn (MS Word)
- "Notes on the Meaning of 'Competition' in Economic Thought"
(from lecture by Louis Makowski, 1983) at Co-opetition.
Chicago Counter-Revolution and the Sociology of Knowledge" by
Robert Leeson, 1997
- "The State of Modern Economics" by Mark Blaug, 1998, Challenge
- "The Problem with Formalism', by Mark Blaug, 1998, Challenge
- "Economics, Philosophy
of" by Daniel Hausman, 1998, from Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- "Philosophy of
Economics" by Daniel Hausman, (for IESS) [haus]
- "Modern Economics and its Critics, 1",
by Partha S. Dasgupta, 1998
Macroeconomic Believable?" by Ben Bolch, 1998, Independent Review
- "On the Relationship between History and
Economics: the Influence of German Economic Culture in Italy" by Piero
Barucci, 1999, SdPE
- "The Use of
Mathematics in Economics" by Sheila Dow
- "Economic Methodology: theory and Practice" by Lawrence Boland [pdf]
- Economic Theory and Methodology - course by Steve
Keen at Western Sydney
Steve Keen, 2000/1 [website]
- "Rigor versus Relevance in Economic Theroy" by Andrea Salanti, 2011 [pdf]
Some older Histories of Economic Thought
- A Discourse on the Rise, Progress, Peculiar Objects and Importance
of Political Economy, by John Ramsay
McCulloch, 1824. [bk]
- Histoire d'économie politique en Europe, depuis les anciens jusqu'à nos
jours, by Adolphe-Jérôme Blanqui, 1837 [v.1
[1842 ed., v.1, v.2 (av)]
ed.] [1860 ed.,
v.2] [1839 Spanish
- The Literature of Political Economy: A classified catalogue of
select publications in the different departments of that science, with
historical, critical and biographical notices, by John Ramsay
- [Anon] A Catalogue of Books, the property o a political
economist, with critical and biographical notices, by John
Ramsay McCulloch, 1862 [bk]
- Les progrès de la science économique depuis Adam Smith : révision des doctrines économiques by Maurice Block,
British Economists by John Shield
Nicholson, 1907 [McM]
- Histoire des doctrines économiques,
depuis les physiocrates jusqu'à nos jours, by Charles
Gide and Charles
Rist, 1909 [av]
[English 1915 transl. A History of Economic Doctrines, from the time
of the physiocrats to the present day,
On HET as a Discipline
- Guest Editorials at
the History of Economics Services (HES) [defunct]
- "What defines a legitimate contribution to the subdiscipline "The History of Economics"?"
by E. Roy Weintraub (September, 1996) [duke]
- "Whig History of Economics is Dead -- Now What?"
by James P. Henderson (November, 1996)
- "SSK as a Resource for the History of Economic Thought"
by D. Wade Hands (January, 1997)
- "The Economics of Scientific Knowledge"
John Davis (February, 1997)
History of Thought: In Search of the Missing Adjective" by Tim
Alborn, (April, 1997)
- "Societies, Journals and Research in the History of Economics"
by John Lodewijks (October, 1997)
- "Taxonomy in History of Economics"
by J. Daniel Hammond (May, 1997)
Gauntlet" by Robert Leeson
to Japanese edition of Stabilizing Dynamics", by E. Roy
Weintraub, 1994 [duke]
On Economics in the "Real World"
- "Does Studying Economics Inhibit Cooperation?"
by Robert H. Frank, Thomas Gilovich, and Dennis T. Regan, J of Econ
- "What Do
Economists Contribute?" by Daniel Klein, 1999
- "Can Economists Save Economics?"
by Richard Parker, 1993, American Prospect
- "Beware of Economists Bearing
Advice" by Daniel Hausman, 1997, Policy Options (PDF)
- "The Surrender of Economic
Policy" by James K. Galbraith, 1996, American Prospect
- "Summers's Day: Should an economist be in charge of the economy?
" by John B. Judis, 2000, New Republic
- Political Origins of Neoclassical Economics by Carl
- "Les économistes ont-ils une aversion pour la démocratie ?"
by Gilles St Paul, Catallaxia
Archives of Essays and Editorials on HET and Methodology
Assorted Links on Economics
- Book review of
Kadish and Tribe (eds), The Market for Political Economy.
- "Why Look
Under the Hood?" by Daniel Hausman, 1992, from Philosophy of Economics
it Again, Samuelson", 1997, The Economist
- "What in the world happened
to economics?", 1999, Fortune
- "Le capitalisme est-il réformable?"
by Bernard Levasseur, 2000, Esprit
On Economics Teaching